This post may contain affiliate links, and I may receive a small commission at no cost to you if you click through on a link and make a purchase. Please read my full disclosure here.
My family loves Italian foods and spaghetti is a big hit around here. I have been wanting to try something a little healthier that we could all enjoy just to change the menu up. This recipe replaces regular pasta with delicious zucchini noodles. All arrabbiata is a spicy Italian red sauce made with red pepper flakes. It is traditionally served with rigatoni or penne noodles, but here we paired it with zucchini noodles.
This recipe is super easy to make and is kid approved.
- 4 large firm zucchini, peeled
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 T. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ T. crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ c. tomato paste
- 2 c. fresh tomatoes, chopped and seeds removed
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 1 t. garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
Garnish is optional but recommended.
- Fresh basil, washed, dried and cut into slices.
- Parmesan cheese, grated.
- Prepare the sauce by heating olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the crushed red pepper flakes and heat until fragrant. Reduce heat to medium-low, then add tomato paste, tomatoes, oregano, and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Simmer until sauce is slightly reduced, approximately 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce is cooking, slice zucchini into thin, long noodles with the Ninja Precision Processor with Spiralizer.
- Cut the noodles with kitchen scissors once they reach 10-12” long. Place cut noodles on paper or clean kitchen towels to absorb excess moisture and set aside.
- Heat olive oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat until the garlic turns golden brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and remove garlic from the pan with a slotted spoon or fork and discard. Add zucchini noodles to skillet and sauté for approximately 2 minutes. While cooking, use tongs to flip the noodles to ensure they are warmed on each side. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and set aside.
- Remove from heat and toss with warm arrabbiata sauce. Transfer to a serving dish and top with sliced basil and freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Serve immediately with a salad or your favorite bread.
Latest posts by Jennifer (see all)
- Let’s Spoil Mom this Mother’s Day Gift Card Giveaway! Ends 5/7 - April 23, 2018
- 20 Mother’s Day Crafts from Kids - April 17, 2018
- Win the Little Tikes Big Digger Sandbox Giveaway! – Perfect for Summer Fun! - April 13, 2018