This post may contain affiliate links, and I may receive a small commission at no cost to you if you click through on a link and make a purchase. Please read my full disclosure here.
Do you ever feel like the world we live in is constantly judging us? The fact is it’s true. We are guilty of it just as well as our neighbor or the stranger on the street. The world is not the same as when we were growing up. Most of us could walk to school, walk to town, ride bikes everywhere, ride around with friends, hang out at a friends house, vice-versa, sleep with our doors unlocked, etc without having to look over our shoulders or care what other people thought. The list is so long of things we remember growing up doing that in today’s world we can not and will not let our children do.
I want to share with you 10 things I will not teach my boys because I am not raising a bully but I am raising gentlemen, a husband, and a father.
- Boys are your competition.
- It’s okay to hide your emotions from girls or others.
- Being smart or successful isn’t attractive.
- Giving up is easier than trying your very best.
- You are above girls and they must obey you.
- You don’t have to apologize when you feel you haven’t done wrong.
- You can’t always talk to Mom or Dad when you have a problem or just need to talk.
- Using profanity makes you cool.
- You don’t have to follow all the rules.
- You don’t have to show adults and others respect.
I don’t want my boys thinking that any of these ten things I listed above are okay. The above will not make your son a man but a person who is selfish and probably won’t make it very far in the world with friends. I do not want my boys to think that boys are their competition at any point in their life. I want them to show their emotions and not bottle feelings away. It doesn’t make them any less of a boy or man not to show emotions but it does make them human. I will not let me boys think they are above girls or women at any time because that is so untrue. They should treat the girls with respect and when dating or married treat her as a queen and never disrespect her. I never want my boys to think because someone tells them they can’t do something they can give up. I want them to always try their best and show respect to anyone they are around no matter the situation.
The last few are very important life skills to learn and live by.
- Mom and Dad will always be there when he needs to talk.
- Playing sports and competing against others is not about winning but trying your very best, learning to work with others on and off the field, showing respect for teammates and by following the rules given by authority.
- When he does something wrong he needs to apologize and accept his mistake and that it will not happen again.
- There are so many things I want to teach my boys instead of things I will not but I wanted to let other mothers know things that possibly they agree with about not teaching her son.
Do you want to share an idea of what you will not teach your son that I did not mention? I would love to hear and possibly add to this list for other moms to read as well. Feel free to comment below and also check out my other parenting articles.
Latest posts by Jennifer (see all)
- Win a Star Wars Easter Basket! ARV $125 Ends 3/23 - March 16, 2018
- Here are 10 Things I will NOT Teach My Boys - March 13, 2018
- Win the BabyRoues Roll & Go Stroller Giveaway! Ends 3/26 - March 12, 2018